Church ArchivesIn May of 2011 First Unitarian-Universalist Church of Detroit donated its buildings and property to the East Michigan Environmental Council with the agreement that the church may continue to worship in the sanctuary in perpetuity. Due to new space constrictions, we had to find a location to store our archives. An ad hoc team researched storage options and found the University of Michigan-Bentley Historical Library (BHL).
On March 18, 2013 a “Gift Agreement” was executed between First UU and the BHL. Subsequently 22 boxes of documents were donated to the library.
The BHL has the capacity to maintain the archives, the earliest of which go back to 1850, in a climate-controlled, contained and protected environment. The BHL has cataloged the archives and they are searchable electronically. We retain full access to the physical archives. Periodic additions to the records are expected. The archives may be found at: